Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Start spreading the news

I'm leaving today, now back on the ferry waiting to arrive back in Staten island, to pick up my (carefully parked) hire car and get on out to Philapelphia - my stop for the evening.

Funny things - hats, just about everywhere i've been here, I've seen all races and all ages wearing baseball caps proclaiming the joys of New York City (or - equally likely, the Yankees).



You just don't see that in London, there's no "Go England" no "I love London" hats, except as the beacons used by tourists to alert muggers to their location.

The bike lanes are even better. Ok so I did my cicle tour on Sunday morning, on a public holiday weekend no-less, so the traffic was very light, but still - pretty much all the major avenues had bus lanes, or real-life bike lanes as well.

Only downside of New York is that the grid system means that - unless you're on one of the outer 'beltways' you never really get to go for more than about 100m before a red-light. On the other hand, this keeps overall motor traffic speeds down and reduces the number of lost looking drivers pulling out from junctions when they shouldn't.



Anyway - best get on the road... thank you New York, now it's time to go count the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike.

richie

1 Comments:

At 6:07 am, Blogger Josh said...

For biking around NYC, you're crazy! But I'm sure it was a "heluva" time. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home