Wednesday, May 11, 2005

They're all spies!

Was just about to 'share an encouraging message' with all those who occasionally drop in on my blog (or just pick it up via RSS!), about how I'd just been to my first church "leaders meeting" (as part of my masterplan to take over, starting with technical bits and going from there!), good time, some prayer and encouragement and a nice new book for me to read.... when, I glanced at my taskbar and thought "oooooh pants" as I spotted an icon I didn't recognised.

Perhaps this doesn't make sense to anyone else, but I have a habit of running a fairly tight ship of a computer, taking care to keep Windows updated, Mozilla patched and setting up the most restrictive permissions for browsing. I have one besetting weakness though, a pathelogical willingness to run as 'Administrator' all the time...

So, when I then let my flatmates and various other visitors to the flat browser around the net on my computer, I guess it shouldn't be any surprise to me when I come home and find my computer crawling with Spyware.

So, now, here I am 2:25 in the morning and I THINK I've just finished, after four reboots, various excursions to "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and going through the various untrusted registry keys (HKEY_CURRENT_USER/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run and RunOnce), Ad-Aware finally insists there's 'nothing to see here, move along please...

Now time to add a password to this user, create a new 'User-Level' person for my flatmates and then... GO... TO... BED.

Goodnight Jonboy...

1 Comments:

At 9:10 am, Blogger Dave said...

Night RichB Ellen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home