Monday, February 21, 2005

Update on music...

Thought I'd do a quick update on what I now think of those albums I bought a couple of weeks on ...

Athlete - Tourist



Still utterly great, every track has something which marks it out and makes an album that's a lot better than pretty much everything else I've heard recently. Only down point I find is 'Modern Mafia' which does go down as definite 'filler' in my book, although to leave it out might have unbalanced the track running order...

KT Tunstall - Eye to the telescope



Again, almost every track is fresh and original. Her voice has got great depth and colour on it and listening back on it a couple of times more on decent headphones realises some additional production tweaks which generally impress. Great happy 'chill out' acoustic folk rock stuff.

Led Zeppelin - Physical Grafitti



OK, so a couple of tracks are just plain weird, and it doesn't really seem to quite work as well as a whole album as a traditional 'prog-rock', but anyway it does have some real gems - including that 'Kashmir' track, which Matt Damon quoted in Oceans 12!

Soulwax - Much against everyone's advice



As mentioned before, at least a couple of wonderful tracks, but some of the quieter ones have now grown on me too. Unfortunately though it doesn't come close to really being the sum of it's parts.

The Who - The Ultimate Collection



Doesn't really impress that much, it might be the "Ultimate Collection" because all of the songs, but it's not an album and I just feel at bit disappointed - expecting all loud crashing guitars, but it instead generally sounds a lot more 'weedy' in most songs. To be fair, I probably need to listen to the entire thing a few more times, but the problem ends up being that we have almost 30-40 songs and finding the gold in the gravel isn't as easy as it perhaps should be.

Thirteen Senses - The Invitation



It's grown a bit more on me, but still it has nothing which really pulls it out of the current "pretty average soft-rock" group of bands and it just doesn't stand there shouting anything but "I'm an average album!!!"

4 Comments:

At 5:16 pm, Blogger I P said...

ooooo..... The Athlete release is really good. I don't know the other ones very well though.

do you like the bedingfields?

 
At 3:58 pm, Blogger RichB said...

Havn't heard Natasha's album, although 'These Words' is a cracker of a track (got stuck in my head for about a week) - it all still feels a bit 'poppy' for me.

Same with Daniel's first album, I really enjoyed some of the tracks - but always with that slightly guilty feeling that it's "pop", and I'm not 'allowed' to like that ;-)

Havn't heard any of Daniel's new album though, you?!

 
At 10:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich, you have to hear Daniel's new album... sorry to bring mine and Clare's Daniel ranting away from the forum to your personal blog... but the album is amazing and really cheap as it didn't do as well as expected!
Nice blog by the way,

Lizzie x

 
At 5:55 pm, Blogger clare isabella said...

ooooh my first visit to your blog and my name is mentioned...how cool :D but yes, daniel b's new album rocks. i have thirteen senses too i quite like it.
that female artist u mention looks interesting...may have to check that out.
cool blog anyway :) xxx

ps- but update it! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home