Wednesday, July 06, 2005

And it was evening of the second day, and behold, it was good.



Currently sitting al-fresco in a little restaurant by the banks of the Hudson, watching the sky turn maroon, orange and deep sapphire blue behind the buildings of New Jersey.

This evening has perhaps been the necessary repose from a day of flapping around and getting little done, although - granted - that's probably the point of a holiday!



Most of the daylight hours were spent in the queue for the statue of liberty - including the realisation that they had no tickets left to let me into statue itself (note to future travellers, save yourself time and trouble by pre-booking on statuereservations.com !).



Meh! Anyway, I enjoyed a nice quiet afternoon on liberty island, until I realised it was already 4pm and the shops were about to close.

Quel surprise, I then summarily managed to get lost (who would have thought that Broadway would swing so far west?!) and miss most of the shops - half of which turned out to be closed on Saturdays anyway.



At least I managed a couple of Simon & Garfunkel titles in the process - seeing the 59th street bridge and taking a crosstown bus!

Finish the day with a wander through central park - albeit accidentally north instead of south! So we end up here, just around the corner from ground zero - in a place full of life and peace.



I could write more, but it's getting late, my caesar salad is here, and anything else I have to share is probably 'best left unsaid'.

1 Comments:

At 10:17 am, Blogger clare isabella said...

The sky's beautiful in that last pic! I'm extremely jealous...glad you're having a great time though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home