Saturday, July 02, 2005

A letter from america

OK, sitting in a slightly dodgy feeling burger king on Broadway, New York, USA typing away on a utterly untactile keyboard and only 10minutes to get my point across beefore the machine logs me off, so apolgies for typos!

(I've got a full load of articles that I'm building up on my palm and will transfer up here as soon as I have a USB/SD socket at my disposal!!)

Well, it's true what they say, New York is a helava town I've been pretty much around downtown today.. but more of that later.

Firstly, the journey was fine - they let me into the country without any particular fuss (fools!) and I've still got two legs and all that. We landed at equivalent 5am UK time and then I had to drive my - so called "Compact" car - the 20 miles or so to Staten island trying to avoid hitting anyone or going down too many carriageways the wrong way.

Anyway I made it, set my watches again and then went to bed. Found that I woke up and looked at the clock - 2pm! - then went downstairs and realised that I hadn't updated that clock after all and that it was only 9am and time for breakfast. So there's hope for avoiding jet lag.

So today has been a good day, staring with breakfast along with a couple of Salvation Army pastors who are also staying in my B&B, and with the hosts looking after me with some nice "Hot Tea" ( the travel kettle hasn't had to come out yet!)

Then I sat on the rocks by the beach just outside and playing my guitar (which survived the flight) in the sight of the verzanno narrows bridge, until I was too hot and had to go back in. At this point I could not see the island of manhatten AT ALL it was just a ghosty blur (if I can find a way to post pictures, I'll show you!) - but this soon sorted itself out after taking the bus and the staten island ferry.

Finished up walking most of the length of Broadway and then spending a good hour in a queue for the Empire State Building. Then two minutes after going up, the fog comes in and we can see nothing..

Anyway, it's later now - I somehow managed to completely miss all the guys from Morning Star New York who I was going to meet up with tonight :-(, but I'll go back to the B&B now and let you know tommorrow what I got up to.

And besides, my time is up - better post this now! See y'all soon...

richie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home