Wednesday, July 06, 2005

If I had to tell the story of a thousand rainy days...

OK, Washington DC. I'm just off to see it today - at least to go and take a look at the major memorials, Lincoln, Jeffersson, etc... That's the problem with a short holiday anywhere, you never really get to see the real town. Especially when you spend an entire day from your 'vacation' recouperating!

"Recouperating from what?" I hear you ask (well, those of you with REALLY LOUD VOICES anyway...) - well, as I mentioned in my last dispatch, after driving down from Philadelphia in the sweltering heat, I was still waiting for the guy who owned the B&B to get back home. Thing was, he already had, and had gone to bed and there were other people sleeping in all the rooms I could see... at this point I was getting really confuseled.

So I end up, snoozing away on the couch until I am awoken by the host uttering his most sincere apologies that actually he'd "had me down as coming in tommorrow night" (yeah right!). So eventually I get shown to my room and get to sleep off the drive and the day before off... which was nice. Eventually finished "Waking the Dead" while I was there - which is an excellent book, lots to chew on... so read it!

Anyway, that's what I spent yesterday doing - the evening involved driving down to the nearest busy street - U Street - and grabbing a (mildly expensive, but not stupidly so) italian meal at Cippos (a cycling themed restaurant, only organic ingredients, hence the slight premium on price, but utterly chilled out nonetheless).
I would post a picture of the restaurant here, but I've left my SD card reader at the B&B (which - I suppose - I've missed the second "B" for the last couple of days...)

And today, it's already 2pm so I'd better get a move on (not least because this internet connection is probably now charging "per minute") - drop the laptop home and get on down to Federal Triangle for some good old fashioned sightseeing...

richie

2 Comments:

At 10:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rich,

am loving reading all about your holidays. Tho TO BE FAIR it is confusing when you check at the beginning of the day and there's one set of posts and then at the end and there's like SIX MORE! :o)

Glad to hear (read) you're having a good time - have you met any nice people? (I can see you've seen lots of beautiful scenery - BTW that's a view of the statue of libery you don't see every day!)
God bless
Jen :o)

 
At 6:33 am, Blogger RichB said...

errr.... some fairly nice people at the conference! Everyone digs the accent ;-)
But, as for the rest of the holiday - apart from the guys at the B&B in NY - no, not really!

And yes, the Statue of Liberty photo I quite liked, I was trying to do some more of those as well, let Phil make up a new calendar of "The backend of famous World landmarks"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home