Thursday, July 29, 2004

All quiet on the western front

Another quiet week in Richie-land, after my moan about not having any new songs - I managed to get a new song written and recorded within a couple of days (which is quick for me!), obviously lacking drums though.

These days - even with advances in recording - I just don't have the space, the patient neighbours or, more to the point, the drumming skill to add drums to stuff when we're recording demos on the fly. The choice being then between cheesy keyboard drums (any of my friends who've heard Love-Love-Love or Seconds-Out would know what I mean!) and beat-boxing it!

Ideally, the thing I'd really like (one day) is an electronic drum kit, pads with decent triggered samples on them - generally very expensive, but probably not much more than a gym membership in Central London anyway and probably just as effective as a tool for weight-loss!

STILL! The song recorded is pretty reasonable, almost a 'concept' song (the idea being that all instruments for most of the song are deprived of lower frequencies, except in reverb terms. So that the vocals are the only thing appearing in the mid-range) - it just about works! At the end, we then bring in a deep bass noise and a large number of vocals - which I may still run through Phil's big amplifier and get them distorted. The music is very remenicient of Radiohead ('no surprises' in particular, but I think that's probably a pit-fall of any minor song with high chordally things) and Sigur Ros (at least in terms of the squeeky vocals towards the end).

And the AV Crew forum (which I won't link to, because otherwise we'll probably get lots of 'randoms') seems to be livening up too, and work on SongBase too - which I'll post more about later... sounds like the church conference in october may be fun from a technical point of view, maybe even to the extent of coming up with a 'live CD' at the end of it.

So, another week of so much to do, so little time - but probably not much in the way of anything really happening. Oh well, best go and see if I can find myself a nice cumabund and bow-tie for this weekend, which MIGHT be black-tie, but no-one tells me anything!

cya

1 Comments:

At 5:19 am, Blogger Josh said...

Cool...forgive my ignorance, but are you recording an album...you're in a band? You're a producer? Sorry my friend...I'm probably now fitting some American stereotype ;) ... cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home